Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Option Trades Update

       May 17 was a down day on the North American markets. Investors and traders are concerned over recent events involving the President of United States Donald Trump.  Adding to this, is the low interest rates that we have currently.  Another major issue is that of Home Capital Group (ticker symbol HCG.TO).  HCG.TO, which is in the mortgage business, continues to be the major topic of discussion. Savers are continuing to withdraw their money from their high interest savings account, which is putting strain on the HCG.TO bottom line.  HCG.TO recently got a 2 billion line of credit from HOOPP, which is Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan to try to stay a float.  HCG.TO has said in the last week, that replacing the HOOPP line of credit is a top priority due to the high interest rate on the line of credit.

       In Canada, the TSX Composite Index was down 269.65 points which represents 1.73% decrease from the day before. The S&P 500 was down 43.64 points, or 1.82%, for the day.  The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 372.82. or 1.78%, for the day.

      I currently have to put options set to expire this month. My short put in Royal Bank is set to expire on May 19th.  The stock RY.TO closed at $91.45 today. My strike price is $92.00 and it is for a single contract.

     My other put option is in another Canadian bank, TD Bank.  My short put in TD is set to expire on May 26th.  The stock TD.TO closed today at $62.26, which is below my strike price of $62.50.  I also currently own 100 shares of TD.TO.

     Today's closing prices of these stocks are over $8.00 per share below their 52 week highs. I am not worried at all with option assignment on these stocks, as the banks have proven over the years that they are excellent companies to own.  If Royal Bank option gets assigned I will likely write covered calls as I would like my entry point to be lower. 

Disclosure: Long 100 shares of TD in margin account.

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment