Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Portfolio Update - May 2015

  The month of May is now behind us. The major news continues to be the price of a barrel of crude oil and the effect it has on the economy. On May 5, 2015 the province of Alberta also held a provincial election. The government changed hands for the first time in 44 years. The businesses in the energy sector who do business in the province of Alberta are concerned on the New Democratic Party (NDP) will do in terms of royalties. 
   
     During the month of May , I made a few long term investments and a few trades. My first investment was a purchase in Canadian National Railway on the Toronto Stock exchange. Canadian National Railway is said to be the best run railroad in North America and they go serve 3 coasts. These coasts are east and west coasts of Canada and the Gulf of Mexico.
 
     I then invested in another company, Restaurant Brands International.  Restaurant Brands International consists of two major brands, which are Burger King and Tim Hortons. I have owned Tim Hortons in the past and sold the stock a few months after announcing that Burger King want to buy them. Towards the middle of the month, I sold these shares as there was some upward momentum in the share price and there is not much history on the new company.
 
    I then entered into two options trades. One of these trades was selling a put option in Telus Corporation. Telus Corporation trades on the both the TSX and the NYSE.  The other option trade was buying a call option in CNR.  The call option in CNR was to try to take advantage of an upswing in the share price due to not having enough capital in account to make a purchase. On May 15, I exited the call option in CNR for a small profit.

    I made a second option trade involving CNR on the 20th of May and sold to close the call option on May 25. The profit was very small, which you can read about here.

    On May 26, I re-enter into a position in Restaurant Brands International. The entry price was lower than early this month and plus 10 mores shares this time around.

     On June 1, I sold a put option in Roger's Communications Class B stock (RCI.B) with a $42.00 strike price. I currently own 100 shares of RCI.B at a higher price.  The expiry date on this option is June 19, 2015.

  I did acquire more shares through DRIPs.

  Shares added due to drip

2 shares of ERF @ $13.00 for a total of $26.00
1 share of KMP @ $10.67 for a total of $10.67

  As of  June 2, 2015, the value of my portfolio stands at $80159.81. This is an decrease of 2.198 % over last month. I will update my investing account tab above


Disclosure: Long KMP, ERF,QSR, CNR, RCI.B

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should be NOT taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

No comments:

Post a Comment