Thursday, October 4, 2018

Recent Purchases

I recently did a stock analysis on a telecommunications company in Canada.  Canada has what is known as the big 3 when it comes to telecommunications.  These companies are Bell Canada Enterprises, Rogers Communications and Telus Corporation.

To read the stock analysis on Telus Corporation, click here

Actions

Purchase # 1


On October 1, I purchases 100 shares of Telus Corporation in my margin account.  I purchased the shares at $47.38 for a total cost of $4743.30 including commissions.

Currently, Telus Corporation (T.TO) pays an $2.10 annual dividend per share paid out over four quarters.  Therefore, this new purchase $210.00 to my annual dividend income.  The yield on cost of the purchase comes in at 4.43%.   

If you click on the link above, I stated on wasn't comfortable on buying Telus at a price over $47.00.  So my plan is to sell cover calls on this position, which was the plan from the get go.

Purchase # 2

On October 4, I purchased 24 shares of T.TO inside my margin account.  I purchased the shares at a price of $45.80 per share for a total cost of $1104.15 including commissions.

This purchase adds $50.40 to my annual dividend income.  The yield on cost of this purchase comes in at 4.56%

Summary

These purchases add $260.40 to my annual dividend income.

As we can not time the market, I would of like a lower price on the purchase in the margin account. As stated, I will be selling covered calls on this position.  My fair dividends from Telus Corporation, I will openly take.


The purchase inside my TFSA will be a long term hold.  Wish I had more money in the TFSA at the time of the purchase.

Telus Corporation also trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol TU.  

I will update my investing tab spreadsheet in early November to reflect these changes.

Disclosure:  Long T.TO


DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

6 comments:

  1. nice pursuit.

    like telus and hold them as well.
    Cool that you bought enough to do some options on them.

    keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passivecanadian,

      This is my first time owning Telus. The options will help when I am able to get a decent premium. Telus is a solid company, so I feel safe holding it.

      Delete
  2. IP -

    Massive purchases, we know adding in over $260 in forward income is no joke. You're on a war path, I like it.

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanny,

      Thanks for dropping by. My cash balance is the margin account is barely in positive territory. Although the stock fell some by a dollar and some change, but still are great yield on cost. Looking forward to the dividends and option premiums.

      Delete
  3. Those are some sizeable buys and your added passive income should be a nice welcome going forward. As always, I love seeing the buying continue month in and month out. No sense in timing the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,

      Thanks for dropping by. One thing I forgot to mention is that Telus has been increasing their dividend for the last 14 years. BCE does has well, which I am long as well

      What is not to like about dividends!

      Delete