Saturday, March 2, 2019

Portfolio Update: February 2019

The month of February 2019 is now behind us.  

On February 19, the Alberta government announced has signed contracts with Canada's two class 1 railroads to lease 4400 cars to transport Alberta oil to US and international markets. The price of Western Canada Select oil continues to trade well below the market price for Western Texas Intermediate price for a barrel of crude oil.

Towards the end of the month, the prime minister gave an order called "order in-council" which would allow the former Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Jody Wilson-Raybould, to give testimony to the House of Common's Justice Committee.  The former justice minister gave an opening statement which she tells of ongoing involvement and pressure by the government to interfere with a matter to due with SNC Lavalin.  After her testimony and then answering questions from members of the justice committee, the other federal parties are calling for an independent public inquiry and/or for Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, to immediately resign.  The various members of parliament are saying "the Prime Minister has lost the moral authority to govern and must resign.  When will he !".

 Portfolio Activity

On February 19, I sold one covered call contract on Telus Corporation (T.TO) with an expiration day of April 18, 2019 at $0.45.  I collected a premium of $34.05 after commissions.

On February 19, I sold out my position in Titanium Transportation (TTR.V).  This is an asset based trucking company that trades on the Venture Exchange in Canada.  This stock does not pay a dividend and became public less than 6 years ago.  This sale occurred in my margin account.

On February 20, I sold out of my position in iShares 1-5yrs Corporate Bond Index ETF within my TFSA.  The position was small and the yield was under 3%, which is barely above inflation.  I am currently looking to use the proceeds of this sale along with other money, to make a more advantageous investment.

On February 25, I sold 2 covered call contracts on WestJet Airlines (WJA.TO) with an expiration day of July 19 2019 at $0.40.  I collected a premium of $68.05.


Shares Purchased Via DRIP

1 unit of CUF.UN.TO @ $11.8855 for a total cost of $11.89 (TFSA)

I own 215 units of Cominar REIT (CUF.UN.TO).  Currently, CUF.UN pays $0.72 per unit per year, or $0.06 per unit monthly.  This DRIP adds $0.72 to my annual dividend income.

Currently, Enbridge does not have a DRIP program as it was cancelled in November 2018.  The dividend was paid on March 1.  So, I will receive a cheque in the mail from the transfer agent for one of my positions in Enbridge.  

Please note that if some brokerages DRIP shares when there is no DRIP program by the actually company.  This DRIP is when the brokerage buys the shares directly off the public market stock exchanges.

Dividend Increases

This month I received a total of 7 dividend increases.

On February 7 , Bell Canada Enterprises  (BCE.TO) announced a dividend increase of $0.2875 quarterly.  The annual dividend was increased from $3.02 to $3.17  per share per year.  This represents an increase of 4.97%.

I own 100 shares of BCE.TO, so this increase adds $15.00 to my annual dividend income.

On February 8, Brookfield Renewable Partners LP (BEP.UN.TO) announced a distribution increase of $0.025 USD per share quarterly.  The annual dividend was increased from $1.96 USD to $2.06 USD annually.  This represents an increase of 5.10%.

I own 33 units of BEP.UN.TO, so this increase adds $3.30 USD to my annual dividend income. At the time of this writing, $1 US is equivalent to $1.32965 CDN.  Therefore, the Canadian equivalent is an increase of $4.39.
 
On February 12, Killiam Properties REIT  (KMP.UN.TO)  announced a distribution increase of $0.02 per share per year.  The annual distribution was increased from $0.64 from $0.66 per unit per year.  This represents an increase of 3.125%.

I currently own 302 units of KMP.UN.TO ,so this increase adds $6.04 to my annual dividend income.

On February 13, A&W Royalties Income Fund (AW.UN.TO)  raised its monthly distribution from $0.143 to $0.147.  The annual distribution was increased from $ 1.716 to $1.764.  This represents an increase of 2.80%.

I currently own 38 units of AW.UN.TO, so this increase adds $1.82 to my annual dividend income.

On February 22, Royal Bank of Canada (RY.TO) raised its quarterly dividend from $0.98 to $1.02.  The annual dividend was increased from $3.92 to $4.08 per share per year.  This represents an increase of 4.08%.

I currently own 20 shares of RY.TO, so this increase adds $3.20 to my annual dividend income.

On February 26, Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS.TO) raised its quarterly dividend from $0.85 to $0.87.  The annual dividend was increased from $3.40 to $3.48 per share per year.  This represents an increase of  2.35%.

I currently own 61.940218 shares of BNS.TO across two accounts, so this increase adds $4.96 to my annual dividend income.

On February 28. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce "C.I.B.C" (CM.TO) raised its quarterly dividend from $1.36 to $1.40.  The annual dividend was increased from $5.44 to $5.60 per share per year.  This represents an increase of 2.94%.

I currently own 28 shares of CM.TO, so this increase adds  $4.48 to my annual dividend income.

These 7 increases add a total of $39.89 to my annual dividend income.  This is equivalent of investing $1139.71 of my own money at 3.5% yield.  I did not have to invest this money, by received this additional dividend income for being a shareholder or unit holder in various companies.

Summary:

As of March 2 , the value of the portfolio is $120443.51. This is a 1.727%  increase over last month's total.

Disclosure: Long all fore mentioned stocks.


Please Note:  Positions in Restaurant Brands International (QSR.TO) and Brookfield Renewables Partners (BEP.UN) pay dividends and distributions in US dollars, respectively.  My investment tab spreadsheet displays the Canadian dollar equivalent within 15 to 20 minutes of real time.


DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment