Saturday, August 17, 2019

Recent Portfolio Activity

It has been a crazy couple weeks on the the stock markets across the world. Are we in a recession? Are the trade wars between US and China causing investors to pull out for the market? I believe some investors fear that we are in a recession at this time. I do believe the impact of the US-China trade wars are having the most impact on the markets at this time.

Margin Account Activities

Sales

On August 7, I mentioned that I made a trade inside my margin account involving Telus Corporation (T.TO).

After making the purchase at $47.10 per share, I put in a stop limit order at $48.10 per share. The stock has been under a little pressure over the last week as the stock recently missed earning expectations.

On August 14, I decided to cancel the stop limit order around noon and replace it with a trailing stop limit order at a lower price. By using a trailing stop limit order, I get to lock in some gains and at the same time possibly gain some more if the stock rises in value.

The stock seemed to go sideways for over a week, which is normal. The sell order was filled at $47.60 per share. The profit from the trade was immediately sent to my line of credit. I was looking for a larger gain but decided to lower the sell price due to the falling stock prices. As I was only taking the profit out, I could use the capital from the sale towards investments.

The money "borrowed" from the trading account was returned.

This sale decreases my annual dividend income by $675.00.

For disclosure, I am long Telus Corporation (T.TO) in my TFSA.

Purchases

The markets went down a lot over a couple of days. I wanted to take advantage of this by buying stocks at a lower price. Buying a stock at a lower price, results in a higher starting yield as price and yield are inversely correlated. The higher the starting yield means money working harder for you.

On August 15, I put in limit orders on 2 stocks I was looking to increase my position size and further grow my dividend income.

First Purchase

On August 15, I purchased 50 shares of Bank of Montreal (BMO.TO) at $92.00 per share for a total cost of $4605.12 including commissions.

Currently, Bank of Montreal pays a dividend of $1.03 per share quarterly, or $4.12 per share annually. This purchase adds $206.00 to my annual dividend income. The yield on cost for this purchase is 4.47%.

This purchase is not eligible for Bank of Montreal's next dividend on Aug 27, 2019, as the record date is August 1, 2019.

This purchase brings total number of shares in Bank of Montreal to 85 shares.

Second Purchase

On August 15, I purchased 45 shares of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce "C.I.B.C" (CM.TO) at $98.00 per share for a total cost of $4415.11 including commissions.

Currently, C.I.B.C pays a dividend of $1.40 per share quarterly, or $5.60 per share annually. This purchase adds $252.00 to my annual dividend income. The yield on cost for this purchase is 5.71%.

This purchase will be eligible for C.I.B.C's next dividend payment which is expected October 28, 2019, to shareholders on record of September 26, 2019. This is listed on their investor relations page as future notice that is subject to approval of board of directors.

This purchase brings total number of shares in C.I.B.C to 110 shares. I recently added shares of C.I.B.C twice with in they past 3 or 4 months.

TFSA Account Activities

Sales

Continuing with markets going down over the period as per above, I decided to take action in this account as well. I noticed Dream Office REIT (D.UN.TO) was trading close to my adjusted cost base per share. Dream Office REIT has reduced their distribution a few times over the past 4 years. The distribution as remained at $0.083333 per unit monthly, or $1.00 per unit annually.

So, I sold my 168 units of Dream Office REIT at $26.41 per unit for a total net proceeds of $4431.69 from the sale. My adjusted cost base was $4489.30. Therefore, the net loss is $57.61 excluding distributions.

This sale decreases my annual dividend income by $168.00.

Purchase

On August 15, I purchased 25 shares of TD Bank (TD.TO) at $71.57 per share for a total cost of $1794.29 including commissions.

Currently, TD Bank pays a dividend of $0.74 per share quarterly, or $2.96 per share annually. This purchase adds $74.00 to my annual dividend income. The yield on cost for this purchase is 4.124%.

This purchase is eligible for TD Bank's next dividend which is expected to be declared on August 29, 2019.

This purchase brings total number of shares in TD Bank to 45 shares.

Conclusion

My plan with the Telus trade in my margin account was to not to hold for very long and take the profit and put on line of credit. I took a smaller profit than I was looking for due to the prices of stocks falling in value that I wanted to purchase.

These 3 purchases are all Canadian Banks.

The yield on cost on all 3 purchases is north of 4%. The starting yields are all higher than the yield of the broader market.

I have invested a lot of money in Canadian banks the past several months. Canadian banks are known to be some of the best and financially banks in the world. Then banks are traded on both the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange. My purchases were all done on the Toronto Stock Exchange. 

I will update my investing spreadsheet in earlier September with these transactions. 

Disclosure: Long T.TO, BMO.TO, CM.TO, TD.TO
DISCLAIMER

I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment