Sunday, May 3, 2020

Dividend Income Update: April 2020



      
The month of April 2020 is another month of dividend income landing in my accounts. Recently, I switched my pay yourself first model to concentrate a little on debt repayment.  The interest on debt is 7.16% 5.66% plus the insurance on the debt.  The decrease in the interest rate is a result of emergency rate cutes by the Bank of Canada over the COVID19 pandemic.   I currently pay myself 10% of income from job(s) and non-registered accounts to my TFSA.  The TFSA income is staying within the account.  I will deviate the 10% to savings account instead of to TFSA if a large expense comes up like a dental appointment. 

Note:  All the dividends and totals below are in Canadian Dollars. 
       
 Non-registered Accounts

  • Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) - $18.00
  • Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) - $41.58 (Transfer Agent)
  • Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) - $83.25
  • Canadian Imperial Bank Of Commerce "C.I.B.C"  (CM) - $160.60
  • Enerplus (ERF)  -$ 7.30
  • Restaurant Brands International (QSR) - $72.55
  • Rogers Communications  Class B (RCI.B) - $100.00
  • Shaw Communications (SJR.B)  - $19.75
Subtotal : $503.03

TFSA
  • Cominar REIT (CUF.UN) - $13.38
  • Killam Properties REIT (KMP.UN) - $17.11
  • TD Bank (TD) - $48.98
  • Telus Corporation (T) - $13.98
  • TFI International (TFII) - $13.00
Subtotal: $106.45

Total = $609.48

 I received a total of $609.48 in dividend income for the month of April 2020.  This represents a 1.689% decrease from 3 months ago and 11.14% increase year over year.  

 The decrease from 3 months ago is less than 2%.  Three monthly payers suspended their dividends and this was offset by a bigger dividend from Enerplus, TD Bank and Restaurant Brands International.  

Boston Pizza Royalties Income Fund (BPF.UN) and A&W Royalties Income Fund (AW.UN) suspended their distributions due to uncertainty over COVID19.  A&W had to close their doors to inside sitting and basically do only drive thru or use 3rd party companies for deliveries.  Some of their restaurants had to close as they were located inside a mall in a food court setup.  At Boston Pizza, you could walk in to get your order as they do not have drive thru at their locations. 

The third monthly payer to stop their dividend was Cineplex (CGX).  Cineplex announced they will stop their dividend after the payment in February.  At that time, it was to make sure it kept their earnings to keep their debt down to satisfy their debt obligations in their friendly take over by UK-based Cineworld.  But the world had something else in store.  Cineplex had to close their theatres and all other entertainment venues due to COVID19.  As of today's date all these remained closed as restrictions are still in place that limit large gatherings under 50 people, with most provinces less than 30 people.  

 I received dividend / distribution income from 12 different companies.   

  I received $0.00 in option premiums within my investment accounts in April 2020.

Below is a visual of my dividend totals for the last 5 years.  



I will update my dividend income tab with the new amount.  I will include my option premium income also.  It is great to see money from passive income sources deposited into my brokerage account every single month.

How was your dividend income for April 2020?

Disclosure : Long all mentioned securities

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Looks like a solid month report with those divvy increases, inspiring stuff – keep it up man. I love passive income investment because it has got more advantages compared to disadvantages. Dividends are cool. But as my friend said, dividends are good as long as they are paid ... I wish you all good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel,

      Thanks for dropping by. The dividend increases help a lot. I do drip a few stocks and which I could DRIP more stocks in the future.

      Delete