Sunday, January 5, 2014

Dividend Update Dec 2013


We are now into January 2014, and it is time to do a dividend update for December 2013.  During month I received 10 separate dividend payments from 8 companies that I count as dividend income.

Non-registered Account
  • Killam Properties (KMP)  - $5.56
  • Shaw Communications (SJR.B)    - $17.00
  • Just Energy (JE) - $46.69
  • Enerplus (ERF)  -$ 44.82
  • Enbridge (ENB) - $  2.14
TFSA
  • Killam Properties (KMP) - $  13.53
  • Cominar REIT (CUF.UN)  - $ 10.56
  • Dundee REIT   (D.UN)  - $ 10.64
  • Boston Pizza  Royalties Fund (BPF.UN)   - $23.87
  • Enbridge  (ENB) - $10.40 
Total = $185.21

This total represents a 4.31% increase from 3 months ago.

I received two distributions for Cominar REIT this month. Cominar REIT pays on the 15th of each month or first business day if 15th falls on a weekend. They paid a second distribution of equal amount on Dec 31. So there will be no January payment from this REIT.

I also received another distribution payment of $56.00 for my swing trade in Dundee REIT in my non-registered account. This is not listed above since it is a trade, so I keep the money in the account and do not pay myself first with this payment. I have received $315.47 in distributions so far on this trade.

I will update my dividend income tab with the new amount.

Disclosure : Long all securities above.

DISCLAIMER:

     I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.  Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

6 comments:

  1. Step by step!
    In 2014 you are in every month of the year above 200 USD.
    Keep going!

    Bye
    D-S

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does a non registered account mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulling Myself Up,

      A non-registered account is a regular cash account or margin account. A regular cash account does not allow margin basically. In a non-registered account, an investor/trader pays taxes on the distributions, dividends or capital gains come tax time. I have a margin account through a broker and I have a few investments directly through the transfer agent. On my investment tab, the investments I have fractional shares in are through the transfer agent.

      A registered account in Canada is TFSA and RRSP. In a TFSA, you deposit after taxed money and withdraw the money tax free and the money grows inside the account tax free. There is restrictions on how much I can deposit each year and if I take money out when can I put it back in. An RRSP is equivalent to a 401k.

      Delete
    2. Cool. Thank you for the answer.
      So a TFSA is a Canadian equivelant of a Roth IRA. Are you limited to when you can start pulling money out? Roth IRA is 59 1/2 or you get penalties.

      Delete
    3. You can take money out of the TFSA whenever you want. But you might not be able to put it back in until the next calendar year. TFSAs started in 2009. The contribution limit was $5000 initially. A person has to be over age of 18 to contribute to a TFSA.

      Situation 1: If I put $5000 into my TFSA. For example I take $1000 out on Aug 31. I will not be able to put the $1000 back in until January 1 of the next year. If a person over contributes they get a penalty.

      Situation 2: If I put $2500 in my TFSA and then take out a $1000 before Dec 31, I can only contribute $2500 more in that year.

      In both situations, the money I take out can be put back in the following calendar year on top of the contributions.

      The contribution limit can be raised on a yearly basis by the Canadian Government due to inflation. It was raised once to $5500 and stayed there. You contributions are carry forward to following years, so if a person never contributed yet they can deposit over $30000 right now.

      Delete
    4. Interesting. I always love learning how other countries do their finance laws.
      Thanks IP for the response.

      Delete