Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dividend Income - Oct 2014

 

 The month of October 2014 is another month of  dividend income landing in my accounts. This money is used to help pay my expenses if it is needed. If the money is not needed, it is ALL used to purchase new investments to further increase my cash flow.

The month of October was a roller coaster in the financial markets as the price of a barrel of crude drop a lot.  The major drop in the price of oil has been linked to the Ebola epidemic and the issues going on in Iraq.  If an investor was able to follow the markets as they were open during the day could of took advantage of the pullbacks in certain sectors.


Non-registered Account
    • Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) - $7.67
    • Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) - $61.75
    • Killam Properties (KMP)  - $5.75
    • Shaw Communications (SJR.B)    - $18.33
    • Enerplus (ERF)  -$ 45.63 
    • Roger's Communications (RCI.B) - $45.75
    TFSA
    • Killam Properties (KMP) - $  14.25
    • Dundee REIT   (D.UN)  - $ 16.61
    • Cominar REIT (C.UN) - $5.39
    • Boston Pizza  Royalties Fund (BPF.UN)   - $23.87
    • Claymore 1-5 yr Laddered Corporate Bond ETF  (CBO) - $0.91 
    Total = $245.91

    This total represents a 23.77% increase from 3 months ago and 7.155% increase  year over year.  The increase over 3 months is due to my recent position in Roger's Communications Class B stock.  This has replaced roughly my monthly dividend in Just Energy which is around the same amount prior to Just Energy switching to a quarterly dividend and a smaller annual rate.  The small increase from 12 months ago is due mostly to Just Energy and its dividend as explained here. Some stocks have increased dividends payments due to DRIP also.

    I also received another distribution payment of $56.00 for my swing trade in Dundee REIT in my non-registered account. This is not listed above since it is a trade, so I keep the money in the account and do not pay myself first with this payment. I have received $875.47 in distributions so far on this trade.

    I will update my dividend income tab with the new amount.

    Disclosure : Long all securities above.

    Photo Credit: www.mipaq,co.za

    DISCLAIMER
         I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.  Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

    4 comments:

    1. Great month of dividend income. Thanks for sharing. I was happy to receive my very first dividend from BNS in October. I like many of the large Canadian banks. I see you have quite a few REIT names too some of which I am not familiar with. One of the benefits of reading other blogs.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. DivHut,

        Thanks for dropping by. The Canadian banks are some of the best run banks in the world. So, the investment in these banks is usually safe. The banks did not cut their dividend during the recent financial crisis and kept it the same. When the economy started to improve the banks started raising their dividends again.
        The REITs I own are in Canada. Killam Properties is an actual real estate corporation so it pays out dividends, just like the bank. The dividends from Killam are eligible dividends, so I do not have to pay the top level of tax for my tax bracket. Dundee REIT and Cominar REIT are actual REITs and their payouts are taxed as earned income.

        Delete
    2. IP,

      Great job in the dividend income department. A very solid month for you.

      Looks like you're having a great year, judging by your YTD dividend income.

      Keep it up!

      Best regards.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dividend Mantra,

        Thanks for dropping by. If I had the $56.00 dollar distribution from the Dundee REIT, that I mention in the post, it would be actually higher. It has been a great year so far and looking for it to increase more and more each month. I love the dividend payments !

        Delete