Saturday, September 26, 2015

Recent Sale

       During the last little bit, I decided to sell a position. I sold the position for some small profit taking and to get my out of being on margin. I was heading out of the city on Friday and I didn't want to have any surprises such as the market tanking. Although the major crash happening this past Friday was real unlikely, I did not want to worry about.
     
       On September 21, my limit order was filled. I sold 50 shares of Restaurant Brands International at $50/per share for 50 shares.



    I initiated this position on May 26, that you can read about here. Restaurants Brands International is the parent company of Tim Hortons and Burger King. As most of us know Burger King is a worldwide fast food restaurant chain that competes with McDonalds in this space.  Tim Hortons is a fast food chain with most of their restaurants in Canada.

Summary:

Initial Cost with commissions: $2430.12
Proceeds of sale including commissions: $2494.88
Dividends Received :  $6.19

Profit = $2494.88-$2430.12
          = $64.76

Total Return without dividends = $64.76/($2430.12)
                                                   =  2.665%

Total Returns with dividends = ($64.76+ $6.19 )/$2430.12
                                                = 2.920%

    QSR will pay another dividend in the first week of October. I am not able to know for sure what the dividend will be as dividends are paid in US Dollars and would have to convert to Canadian dollars. As from my summary above, dividends increase the return on investment.


DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your sale IP. Hopefully, you'll put the proceeds into something awesome. Lots to decide on my friend. Hope to hear about your buy soon. Keep up the hustle IP, I'm gonna be traveling with you for a long time bud. Cheers to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dividend Hustler,

      Thanks for dropping by. I agree there is a lot to decide on including this company. Although the dividend is low, one of their companies (Tim Hortons) is a cash cow. So if the price is right again, this stock will be on my radar again.

      Delete
  2. I always take to heart when I read about a sale of a stock. You really don't see these types of posts among our DGI community. Look forward to see where you deploy this cash. Perhaps a beaten industrial like CAT or EMR? Maybe a beaten Canadian bank like BNS, TD or RY. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut,

      Thanks for dropping buy. With the exchange rate the way it is, I will not be buying foreign stocks like CAT or EMR. The banks look attractive right now. If QSR falls somemore, the stock will be back on my radar.

      Delete