Thursday, December 3, 2015

Portfolio Update - November 2015

      During the month of November, their was the meeting in Paris about Climate Change. Here in Canada also, the NDP government of Alberta has announced their climate change plans.  During the press conference, there was CEOs of the largest companies that have operations in the Alberta oil sands.  I believe these CEOs believe there will be more markets available to them if their extraction process is more cleaner.  Canada's largest trading partner is the United States.  The US might be more likely to add more pipelines to their system if the source of the extraction is more environmentally friendly.  Oil and gas companies in Western Canada need to develop technologies that allow them to be more efficient and do stuff at a lower cost.

      I started off the month with an  options trade.  I bought back an option with a $48.00 strike price to replace it with a $52.00 strike price.  Although the price of Restaurant Brands International (ticker symbol QSR)  moves a lot, it does not effect people going into their restaurants as a lot of their customers could care less about the stock price.  Restaurants Brands International consists of Burger King and Tim Horton's.  Tim Horton's is a staple for a lot of people in Canada on a daily basis.  The covered call is set to set to expire Dec 18, 2015. If the option is not assigned,  I will write another covered call to collect more income as the dividend yield is low for this stock. 

    I next wrote about what an individual can do to better position themselves financially.  The concept of paying yourself first and let compounding to start to take effect can reduce stress in your life as 
 you create wealth and other sources of income.

     Finally, I wrote about averaging down on XDV, which is iShares Canadian Select Dividend ETF.  This dividend ETF pays monthly.  My brokerage offers commission free ETFs, so my out of pocket cost are just ECN fees when they apply.

     I purchased $140.00 worth of Enbridge shares directly from the transfer agent on December 1.  There is no commissions, so my out of pocket cost is the price of a stamp to mail the check.  I acquired 2.929 shares at $47.80 per share.  Enbridge also paid its quarterly dividend on December 1.  As I participate in a full drip with the transfer agent, I acquired 0.122 shares at $46.84 per share.  The drip is a 2% discount.

    On Dec 3, Enbridge announced at 14% dividend increase starting with its Mar 2016 dividend payment.  The new annual dividend rate will be $2.12 per year, or $0.53 per quarter.  

     As of  Dec 3  2015, the value of my portfolio stands at $80,754.11. This is an decrease of  1.500 % over last month. I will update my investing account tab above.

Disclosure: Long  QSR, ENB

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should be NOT taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

No comments:

Post a Comment