Thursday, March 2, 2017

Portfolio Update : February 2017

       The month of February 2017 is now behind us. The price of a barrel of crude oil trades between $53 to $54 a barrel for WTI crude oil.  The first day of March saw the S&P 500 and DJIA hit all highs. This March 1 rally was first trading day after Donald Trump's first speech to congress.

     I had 3 dividend raises since last Portfolio update.   The Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) announced a dividend increase on February 28 of $0.08 annually to $3.04 per share, representing a 2.70% increase.  This increase adds $4.23 to my annual dividend income.  The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM) announced a dividend increase on February 23 of $0.12 annual to $5.08 per share, representing a dividend increase of 2.42%.  This increase adds  $3.36 to my annual dividend income.  Although the increases seem small by percentage,  the big 5 Canadian banks have been raising there dividend twice on an annualized basis the past several years. The third dividend raise came via Killiam Properties REIT (KMP.UN) of 3.3% came on February 14th, which you can read about here.  KMP.UN did convert Jan 1 2016 to a REIT from a corporation.  The KMP.UN distribution increase increases my annual dividend income by $6.04. 

      KMP.UN dividend increase will take effect with the April 15th payment date.

     These 3 dividend increases add a total of  $13.63 to my annual dividend income.  I did not have to show up to work at given location or put in any effort on my part. Based on a 3.5% yield, this is equivalent to investing $389.43 of my own money.

     On February 13, I wrote about the High Yield in Savings account method I started with. As of the time of that post I owned 14 units of HNY.  During the past week I added to this position with the purchase of 12 shares units of $13.25.  This will not be on my investing tab spreadsheet.

     On February 16, I wrote about the selling of a put option in Telus Corporation (T), which you can read about here.  Telus is one of the Big 3 in the communications industry in Canada. The other 2 of the Big 3 are Rogers Communications and Bell Canada Enterprises.

   On February 22, I wrote about my purchase of units of A&W Royalties Income Fund inside my TFSA,  You can read about this transaction here.

   I sold a put option contract in TD Bank (TD) with a strike price of $65.50 with a February 17 expiration day. This option expired on February 17, so therefore I get to keep the premium of $24.05 that I collected. Keeping with the theme of TD,  On February 27, I purchased 100 shares of TD for a total cost of $6966.95 including commissions.  On February 28, I sold a covered call on the 100 shares of TD that I currently own.  I received a premium of $29.05 on this option, which has an expiration day of Mar 10, 2017.


Shares Acquired Through DRIP


3 Unit of D.UN.TO @ $20.08797 for a total cost of $60.26 (Margin Account)

1 units  of CUF.UN @ $14.61278 for a total cost of $14.61 (TFSA)

Please note, that the DRIPs inside my margin account and TFSA are synthetic drips which indicate the distribution or dividend must be enough to purchase whole shares. 

As of February 2, the value of the portfolio is  $102782.60. This is a 0.029%  increase over last month's total.  The spreadsheet in the investment tab above has been updated.

 Disclosure:   all stocks mentioned.

Please Note:  All stocks are from the Toronto Stock Exchange.

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.


No comments:

Post a Comment