Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Portfolio Update: December 2019

The month of December 2019 now behind us. Year 2019 is over and a new decade as started. 

Some provinces in Canada are continuing to fight the government when it comes to protecting the environment.  Climate change has become a major issue across the country and across the world.


On January 1, 2020, Alberta consumers will have to pay a carbon tax.  The carbon tax will be a federal carbon tax this time, whereas before it was provincial.  The new Alberta government cancelled the previous provincial carbon tax on May 30th, that was in place in Alberta.


Alberta and a couple of other provinces are taking the federal government to court and trying to stop the carbon tax.  This might cause investor uncertainty north the US border. 

Portfolio Activity

Margin Account Activity

There was no buys or sells in the margin account for December. 


Cineplex Inc. (CGX.TO) has a takeover in progress by UK-based Cineworld.  Cineworld has offered $34 per share subject to regulatory approval and approval by Cineplex shareholders.  Since this takeover announced, Cineplex at times as traded over $34 a share at various times. The CEO of Cineplex has said this is a great deal for Cineplex shareholders.

TFSA Activity

There was no purchases and selling in the TFSA account.

I continue to build up cash in my TFSA to make another purchase and at a good price.

There was no drip in Cominar REIT (CUF.UN.TO) in December as the distribution was not enough to purchase one unit. The price of the REIT has traded higher than my distribution amount in each of the last few months.  Cominar pays a distribution twice in December.  A distribution is paid middle of the month and a second one at the last day of the month.  


I turned on the DRIP for Boston Pizza Royalties Income Fund (BPF.UN.TO).  The units will start to DRIP at the end of January or end of February. 

Shares Purchased Via DRIP

There was no shares purchased via the DRIP during December The DRIP remains turned on for certain stocks as indicated in my investment tab spreadsheet.


One of my positions in Enbridge Inc is directly with the transfer agent.  This allows the full DRIP. I have elected to DRIP my shares.  Enbridge has cancelled their DRIP in November of 2018, but may re-instated in the future. If the DRIP is re-instated, my shares will automatically be set up for DRIP.  

Please note that if some brokerages DRIP shares when there is no DRIP program by the actual company. This DRIP is when the brokerage buys the shares directly off the public market stock exchanges.

Dividend Increases

On December 3, Bank of Montreal  (BMO.TO) increased their quarterly dividend from $1.03 to $1.06, or $4.12 per share annually to $4.24 per share annually. This is an increase of 2.91%. As of the time of this writing, I own 85 shares of Bank of Montreal. This increase adds $10.20 to my annual dividend income. Bank of Montreal has been raising their dividend semi-annually for the last several years.


On December 10, Enbridge increased their quarterly dividend from $0.738 to $0.81, or $2.952 per share annually to $3.24 per share annually.  This is an increase of 9.76%.  As of the time of this writing, I own 359.278 shares of Enbridge.  This increase adds $103.47 to my annual dividend income.


Dividend Decreases

There was no dividend decreases announced in the month of December

Summary:

As I started to include my US position in my portfolio, I will once again include the information immediate below.

I decided to give a more accurate portfolio and included my US Stock portfolio along with the Canadian stock portfolio. I included the combined CAD amount for cash in all my postings but not the market value of the position.

I currently have one US position and it is held within my TFSA. The position is Facebook (FB). I have owned this position very near the IPO date or maybe even on the first day the shares traded.

I added a new sheet to my investment tab spreadsheet, showing this position and the USD cash position of both accounts. There is a small cash position within the US portion of margin account from a General Electric position I had years ago. Most of the cash as the result of the General Electric position was converted back into Canadian dollars.

The investment tab spreadsheet now has 2 sheets, one being the Canadian portfolio and one being a US portfolio. The latter is all in USD dollars. On the Canadian portfolio sheet, I take the sum of the US portfolio balance converted to CAD and the Canadian portfolio balance to give a total portfolio balance.

As of the time of this writing on January 1, 2020 , the total value of the portfolio is $129662.49 CAD. This is a 0.1645% decrease over last month's total.

The dividend increases have increased my annual dividend income by $113.67 CAD. This is equivalent of investing $3247.71 of my own money at 3.5%.

As of the time of this writing, the portfolio is estimated to produce $5647.85 CAD in dividend income over the next 12 months. This is an increase of $106.29, or 1.918%. Some of the dividends in the Canadian stocks section are paid in US dollars, which are converted to Canadian dollars.  This is the reason why the increase of $106.29 is less than the amount from the increase of dividend raises. 

I updated my investing tab spreadsheet.

Disclosure: Long all aforementioned stocks

Please Note: Positions in Restaurant Brands International (QSR.TO) and Intertape Polymer Group (ITP.TO) pay dividends in US dollars. Brookfield Renewables Partners (BEP.UN) pays distributions in US dollars. My investment tab spreadsheet displays the Canadian dollar equivalent within 15 to 20 minutes of real time.

DISCLAIMER

I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment