Sunday, February 21, 2021

Recent Purchases

Are you thankful to be able to flick a switch and have light in your house or apartment? Could you imagine your life without electricity? 




Recent Buy # 1 



Emera Inc. (EMA.TO) started from a single electric utility in Nova Scotia. The company has grown to be an energy company that serves over 2.5 million customers in Canada, the US and the Caribbean.

I did a stock analysis on Emera Inc last year, which you can read here

As of February 19, Emera is yielding 5.0%. This yield is 40 bps below the stock’s own 5 year average of 4.6%. The current yield is approximately 200 bps below that of the broader market.

In the early market hours on February 19, I purchased 22 shares of Emera Inc (EMA) at $50.47 for a total cost of $1115.37 including commissions.

Emera pays a quarterly dividend of $0.6375 per share, or $2.55 per share annually. The yield on cost for this purchase is 5.03%.

This purchase adds $56.10 CAD to my annual dividend income.

This purchase was in my margin account as it adds to my current position.

Recent Buy # 2 




Fortis Inc. is another utility. I recently started a position of Fortis within my TFSA. I previously did a stock analysis on Fortis, which you can read about here.

On February 19, I purchased 30 shares of Fortis at $50.78 for a total cost of $1528.46 including commissions.

Fortis pays a quarterly dividend of $0.505 per share, or $2.02 per share annually. The yield on cost of this purchase is 3.96%.

This purchase adds $60.60 CAD to my annual dividend income.

This purchase was made in my TFSA.

Summary:

Both of these purchases were in the utility space.  Also, both these companies provide some of their energy via renewables.  

I now own 122 shares of Emera in my margin account.

I now own 47 shares of Fortis in my TFSA.  For disclosure, I also have a position of 78 shares of Fortis in my trading account and 200 shares of Fortis in my RRSP.  In terms of the latter, I write covered calls on Fortis in order to use the option premium collected to purchase XAW.  XAW is ex-Canada Global ETF.  

These purchases add $116.70 CAD to my annual dividend income. 

I will update my investing spreadsheet in early March with these purchases.

Disclosure:  Long FTS.TO, EMA.TO, XAW.TO

DISCLAIMER

I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment