Saturday, May 31, 2014

Put Option for Rogers Communications

I have written a post recently, on selling put options which you can read about here

Recently, I placed a limit order of $0.69 for a put option on Roger's Communications.   This was  a "sell to open" a put option, which means if the order goes through I am paid a premium.  Since 1 contract represents 100 shares, I was paid $58.05 after commissions. I am paid a premium as I make a  "promise" that I will buy 100 shares of RCI.B at the strike price of $44.00 if the stock price falls below $44.00 and it is assigned.


3 possible outcomes :

            (1) If the stock goes up,  I made $58.05 without putting up any money.

            (2) If the stock goes sideways and the stock doesn't fall far enough, I made $58.05.

           (3) If the stock goes down below the strike price of $44.00 and is assigned, then my cost basis is lowered.
                 

What is my adjusted cost base if put is assigned?

ACB= # of contracts*100 shares*strike price - [option premium - option premium commission]   +commission for option being assigned.
                                  = 1*100*$44.00 -[$69.00 -$10.95]+$24.95
                                  =$4366.90

RCI.B currently pays an annual dividend of $1.83/share.   YoC=1.83/43.6690=4.191%

How is this different if I bought the shares outright without an option?
     Cost of 100 shares  =$4400
     Commission = $4.95
     ACB/share =  $44.05
     YoC=   1.83/44.05= 4.154%

The yield on cost is greater where a put was sold and assigned over just buying the stock outright. This means my money is now working harder for me. Selling a put option allows me to get paid while I am waiting for the price of a stock to go down to a point that I am comfortable buying it.  The other option is to but in a limit order to buy the stock at $44.00 and wait.

EDIT :  In the section about if I bought shares outright, the commission is $4.95 instead of $9.95. My numbers above have been corrected.

NOTE:  Selling puts is deemed to be risky, as the stock can go to zero or decrease in value really quick.

DISCLAIMER:

     I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.  Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk


4 comments:

  1. Great company :) I bought some RCI.B a few years ago. I should have sold a put option instead of buying it outright. Since the price is below $44 today do you think your options will be assigned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liquid,

      From a chart of RCI.B on google finance, as of this moment, the exponential moving averages (22,50,100, 200 days) are at $44.50 or above. Also, read somewhere that an analyst believes the stock should be $21. I think he/she also made mistake. This could be the reason why the price dropped a lot a few days ago.

      I do believe the price will go up a bit and hover between $44.00 and $45.00. I am OK if the put is assigned as I would be OK owning RCI.B at $43.67. One thing I am curious about, how the position will look in my account if the put is assigned. Will it show 100 shares at $44.00 (Strike Price) or the ACB price. My broker doesn't show commissions in the prices of the positions section of my account.

      Delete
  2. Not a bad way to potentially purchase some Rogers shares. I'm still getting my feet wet with options but have seen many of the bloggers use selling puts or covered calls as a more "conservative" manner to collect some option premiums. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut,

      Selling puts helps an investor to make some money if they are willing to buy a stock at a cheaper price than what it is trading currently at. With selling put options, time is one your side where as when buying a put where time is not on your side.

      As a beginner in selling puts, I will only sell puts on stocks that I would buy at the cheaper price.

      Delete