Friday, April 3, 2015

Portfolio Update - Mar 2015

      The end of the first quarter of 2015 is now behind us.  The price of WTI crude oil remains below $50 a barrel.  With the price of oil remain low, layoffs in the energy sector are continuing.  As the economy deals with the low oil prices, it will have drastic effects on provinces, states or countries that have oil revenue as a large percentage of government revenues.
     During the month of March, I did not make any long term investments. I did acquire more shares through DRIPs.

  Shares added due to drip

0.056 shares of ENB @ $58.39 for a total of $3.27
4 shares of ERF @ $11.61 for a total of $46.44
1 share of KMP @ $10.92 for a total of $10.92
15 shares of JE @ $5.87  for a total of $88.05 

    My covered call for TD bank did not get assignment due to the price of the stock being below the  strike price of $56 at expiration date. I still get to keep the premium of this trade, even though the option was not exercised. A covered call is a good way to earn some more income on an investment. Before making a covered call, one has to be comfortable with selling the stock at the strike price.
     In the early part of March, I entered a trade in Sherritt International at $2.35. I have traded this stock in the past and had positive returns. Although past performance does not guarantee future results, they are predictions by various analysts that the stock could reach over $4.00 a share in about a year's time.  As my limit order has not been filled yet, I now qualify for their dividend. The dividend will not be very big at it is only $0.01 a share. 
   Toward the end of the month, I bought a call option in TD inside my TFSA which you can read out here. On April 2, the sell to close order was filled, which you can read about here.

       As of Apr 3, 2015, the value of my portfolio stands at $78497.15. This is an increase of 0.502% over last month. I will update my investing account tab above

Disclosure: Long KMP, ERF, JE, ENB

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should be NOT taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

No comments:

Post a Comment