Sunday, May 3, 2015

Portfolio Update - Apr 2015

  The month of April in now behind us. The price of crude oil is starting to rise a bit. The price of crude oil for June 15 contract closed of $59.05 US/bbl .

Courtesy of Yahoo Finance

Courtesy of Yahoo Finance

     I am cautious about the price of a barrel of crude oil still.  I do believe there is still oversupply of crude oil and there will continue to be weakness in the price of this commodity. This will effect the economy in Canada as a lot of businesses are a direct relation or indirect relation to the energy sector. This is especially true in Canada. The people in the western Canada oil patch get paid well. These works may live in other parts of the country as well. When the industry slows down, it means less people in restaurants, hotels etc. I previously worked in the oil patch and had to do a lot of traveling while working. I ate at a lot of restaurants and stayed in hotels. When the oil patch is booming, there are oil field trucks everywhere.
   
     During the month of Apr, I did not make any long term investments. I did acquire more shares through DRIPs.

  Shares added due to drip

1 shares of ERF @ $15.55 for a total of $15.55
1 share of KMP @ $10.94 for a total of $10.94
x.xxx shares of BNS @ x.xxx for a total of $20.49

      Note: BNS did pay a dividend on Apr 28. I own these shares directly though the transfer agent, which is the old way of buying shares. The price and amount of new shares has not shown yet in the account yet. I will update this when it is available.
       Enerplus (ERF.TO) did cut its dividend from $0.09 per share a month to $0.05 per share a month starting with the payment for April. Enerplus is an energy producer and its revenues are highly impacted by the price of crude oil. Enerplus also has revenues from Natural Gas.  The price of the stock has risen in the past month, which I believe investor's are confident in how this company is handling the effect of low oil prices.

    I did exit out of my trade in Sherritt International which I held for 59 days on May 1.  This was a profitable trade and all the profit will remain in the brokerage account.

   As of  May 3, 2015, the value of my portfolio stands at $81960.97. This is an increase of 4.41% over last month. I will update my investing account tab above

EDIT:  May 5 2015  Today the shares show up for my BNS Reinvestment although the dividend showed up days ago. Last year BNS decided to stop their discount on shares purchased with reinvested dividends.

.305603shares of BNS @ 67.0477 for a total of $20.49

Disclosure: Long KMP, ERF, BNS

DISCLAIMER
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should be NOT taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk

No comments:

Post a Comment