Friday, May 15, 2015

Recent Sale

     I recently made a purchase of Restaurant Brands International. Restaurant Brands International (ticker symbol QSR on both TSX and NYSE) is the company that was created by the takeover of Tim Hortons by Burger King. 

    Over the last couple of days there was some upside with the share price. Although Starbucks is a premium coffee, 8 out of 10 cups of coffee in Canada is sold at Tim Hortons. Starbucks, McDonalds, Second Cup, and Tim Hortons all compete for customers in the coffee shop space.  As some of the stocks in my portfolio have been beat up such as Enerplus and CN Rail, I decided to take profits from this position.
     I was watching my brokerage account, as I am off this week, and placed a limit order of $50.15. The order was filled right away at $50.23. The difference in price is the quotes in my brokerage are delayed up to 15 minutes for stocks trading on Canadian Exchanges.

Summary of  Investment:

# of shares : 40
Duration of Investment : 3 days
Initial Investment : $48.85*40+$5.09 = $1959.09
Proceeds of Sale : $50.23*40-$5.09 = $2004.11

Profit = $2004.11-$1959.09
           = $45.02

Total Return = Profit / Initial Investment
                       = $45.02/$1959.09
                       = 2.298%

This sale reduces my annual dividend income by $16.00, as the current yearly dividend appears to be $0.40 per share.

EDIT: My brokerage account trading summary on May 15 at night, saying purchase price is $48.85 instead of $48.84 . The numbers have been adjusted above.

DISCLAIMER:
I am not a financial planner, financial advisor, accountant or tax attorney. The information on this blog represents my own thoughts and opinions and should NOT be taken as investment or business advice.

Every individual should do their due diligence to make their own financial decisions based on their financial situation and tolerance for risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment